Thursday, August 4, 2011

new fall fabric- velvet and lace galore

I spent the other day roaming the overflowing isles of fabric stores of Toronto’s garment district for new fall/winter ’11 fabrics. I came up with velvets in black, golden flax, crushed olive and imperial purple, as well as a few simple, ethereal laces in black and white.
And yesterday my mom and I rooted through the crawlspaces of her attic to find hidden gems from my high school fabric collection. We found a great stash of wool tweeds, herringbone, and natural cotton...
We also found some scraps of fabric she saved from her projects from over the years, which I hope to incorporate into a quilt.

An old silk shirt of my mother's, which my sister and I played dress up with for years...

My grandmother's curtains from the house my mom grew up in...

From a chair my mom re-covered in my childhood home in Alliston...

My mom's old couch...

The cushions on the old porch rocking chair, also from Alliston...

I can't wait to get back to my sewing machine and serger to start on new fall/winter '11 cowls with these new great finds!


No comments:

Post a Comment